Over the last 15 years, research conducted by HarvestPlus and its partners have demonstrated that:
- Conventional crop breeding can increase nutrient levels without compromising yield
- Extra nutrients in crops measurably improve micronutrient status, health, vision, and cognitive and physical abilities
- Farmers are willing to grow biofortified crops and consumers are willing to eat them
- Biofortification is cost-effective
- For advocates, researchers and journalists, we summarize and highlight biofortification’s efficacy in addressing hidden hunger.
- The African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition, and Development and the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences devoted special issues to biofortification, which summarize the evidence landscape and suggest the way forward for this agricultural-nutrition intervention.
- Our crop map shows which crops have been released—and which are being tested around the world.
- Our Biofortification Prioritization Index shows stakeholders where the greatest impact can be made in reducing micronutrient deficiencies. The BPI ranks seven widely-consumed staple crops according to their suitability for investment in 127 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America and the Caribbean.
Browse our publications to learn more.